In June 2017, Professor Ernesto Julio Calvo won the DSM Bright Minds Challenge for Inquimae. Traditionally, lithium - the lifeblood of battery technology - is available through one source and one source only: extraction from giant salt lakes or ‘flats. It’s a very slow process that wastes millions of gallons of water while releasing sodium chloride and magnesium sulfate waste into the air and soil. Or at least, it was. Ernesto’s revolutionary electrochemical method uses solar power to extract the lithium…but with zero environmental impact.
Climate change is one of our greatest global challenges and we need to act now to solve this problem. We believe that science can change the world and that fast-forwarding to 100% renewable energy is one of our best shots to take carbon out of the grid and improve lives. But who holds the key to achieving this transition?
Key speakers and panelists:
- Danny Kennedy, clean-technology entrepreneur an environmental activist and managing director of the California Clean Energy Fund
- Feike Sijbesma, CEO Royal DSM
- Jeremy Leggett, Social entrepreneur & founder of Solarcentury and founder and chairman of SolarAid
- Sandrine Dixon-Decleve, Senior Advisor, Corporate Purpose, Sustainability & Climate Change
- Rob van Leen, Chief Innovation officer and Member Executive Committee, Royal DSM
Hear from the Bright Minds Challenge finalists
Our Bright Minds have devoted years to research and entrepreneurship before bringing their patent-ready solar and energy storage solutions into the spotlight. They won the public vote and impressed our expert jury before getting a chance to present their solutions to you on June 13th. Listen to their final pitches live and discover the promising future their solutions can bring; as we reveal the ultimate winner of the Challenge. Be part of their exciting journey towards making 100% renewable energy a reality!
Hear from our expert panelists
Hear from our expert panelists as they explore how cross-border collaboration provides a beacon of hope to achieve 100% renewable energy:
- Why do cross border collaborations matter?
- How does the changing societal landscape affect these collaborations?
- How are initiatives such as the Bright Minds Challenge pushing boundaries to help find and scale solutions to 100% renewable energy?
- What are some practical steps, top-tips and actions to creating powerful collaborations towards a faster global progress?